Vegan Choc-spiced Winter Cookies
Now that the nights are drawing in, the days are colder and the fire is constantly on, how about indulging in these spicy festive cookies?
They are a real Winter favourite in our household, especially for ‘Christmas in July’ They are rich and decadent, and with the added spices they have a gorgeous warming flavour and scent, giving you that Christmassy feeling inside!
Makes: 24 cookies
- 2 cups flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1.5 tsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup softened spread (Nuttlex)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1 tbsp milk (Organic Vitasoy)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 cup dark chocolate, chopped
- 3 tbsp sugar (for decorating)
- Heat the oven to 160ºc (fan-forced). Line baking trays
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, spices and salt.
- In a large bowl cream together the spread and sugars. Add the molasses, milk and vanilla.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet in batches until well mixed. Add the chopped chocolate.
- Scoop out the dough as large tablespoons-sized balls, roll in the remaining sugar, and place on the baking sheets a few cm’s apart, flatten slightly.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until the cookies have spread and the sugar coating has cracked slightly.
- Cool for 10 minutes on the baking tray, then transfer to a cooling rack