Date and Apple Vegan Scones
Makes 10 scones using a 6cm round cutter
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- pinch of nutmeg
- 60g spread (Nuttelex)
- 150g chopped dates
- 1 granny smith apple, grated
- 2 tsp caster sugar
- 3 tbs milk (So Good Coconut)
- 2 tbs water
- Extra milk
1. Preheat oven to 180ºc (fan forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Combine milk and water.
3. Sift flour and nutmeg into a bowl, then rub the spread in with your fingertips, until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in dates, apple and sugar.
4. Make a well in the flour and pour in the milk/water mixture. Mix until a dough is formed. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently.
5. Pat out until 2cm thick. Cut out with your chosen cutter and transfer to the tray, leaving space between the scones.
6. Rub extra milk onto the tops of the scones, then bake for 15 minutes until tops are a light golden colour.